Jet_Chi

Some Ideas

1) Ink Sacks are harder to obtain, as to build a decent spawner it will cause huge lag spikes. i have looked at designs which involve taking portion of a river biome and drying the rest of the rivers out to force them to spawn. Need that black concrete :S

To offset the issues with building a squid farm, could there be more incentive for people to go farm Squid, like more exp/ember from hunting them?

2) Coal blocks look nice but lots of people use coal as a fuel source. i have looked into kelp farms as a fuel source and lots of them seem to be automatic with observers as allowing the kelp to grow fully then harvest causes large lag spikes, i tried this out with a simple piston farm on 20 kelp blocks on single player and it created lag spikes. Can the mods review different types of kelp farm and say what is acceptable.

3) Mining seems to be very underwhelming on Jobs, can it be buffed slightly to bring it in line with other jobs. if you control a guardian farm you're probably making tons more ember than you can with mining.

4) Weekly Challenges for prizes, this is vague but it could be any sort of challenge to inspire some competition.

5) private islands like on previous maps where you can spend a large amount of ember to buy islands, those islands can be found through a portal room at spawn. cant see a downside to this.

Just some ideas ive been thinking off, lets have a discussion 🙂

1) You just have to bite the bullet, really. It's a pain to farm them, but they're out there. What I can recommend is to sit in a boat and move along in an ocean till you see something spawn, (push f3+b to see them better) usually a whole area of mobs will spawn including fish, dolphins and some squid - once you've killed the squid, hop back in the boat and move another bunch of chunks away till you see something new spawn, eventually  you get a feel for when you can stay in the boat and wait for a new wave. But you gotta stay on the move, remaining in the same spot doesn't really work. I've personally obtained several stacks this way. Also, always do this in resource world.

2) I don't think kelp is nearly as laggy on our server compared to single player. Notice how item drops seems to stack here? That's not a thing in single player, and cuts down massively on item entity lag. Constantly updating water sources from one could be a mess though, but we'll figure that out eventually. Or Mojang. We have one that is under construction atm (8x30) utilizing a sweeper, at most we're looking at 240 kelp, but in reality it's probably closer to 120, and most of that will stack together. Xisumavoid (on youtube) built a similar one, if you wanna check it out.

3) Sort of agree, I just don't know where it could do with a buff. On one hand I'd like ores in general to be worth more (gold, iron and diamonds) but we mine stone 90% of the time if not more while branch mining, so maybe that's where said buff could be. I think most jobs seems to be around 5k ember/hour (and some more, with outliers) while I have a hard time pushing miner past even 4k. Last I checked, I sat around 3500. Thing is though, as a miner you get really useful byproducts that fuels other professions (most notably gold), and it's in almost direct correlation with blacksmithing due to the insane amount of materials it requires to level up, so you gotta keep this in mind. You gain much more ember from mining than your /money says, in a way, so for that reason I'd say it's fine. But is it bad if a job gives you just 5-10% less than another job? If you hate farming crops over and over, but if farmer job would give you 10% more than miner (which we can pretend you love for argument sake) would you still pick, and stay, with farmer over a time frame of say 100 hours? I know I wouldn't, would happily take the 10% loss and keep on doing what I like. Chances are, doing what I like, I'd probably put more time into it in the long run.

5) The thing with private islands is that they need to be kind of private and out in the ocean, while being part of the main world. While we do have an ocean, it's simply not large enough to sustain the 5-10 islands I'd like to build in this case, along with people already feeling like there isn't enough real estate to go by. I'll review it again later  when the map expands, because it's really not an option to put the islands in a separate world (more server load, and detachment, although it would actually feel isolated :P)

edit: Further thoughts on mining

I mostly agree with what you've said, but for #2 I just want to say that 1.13 is horrendously laggy for some reason anyway (Mojang's fault, not CC's), but if you wanted to build one go for it. It's client lag anyway, not server lag. The general consensus for "laggy" farms has generally been to just get them evaluated if you're unsure, but for the most part if it's not fully auto it's fine. 🙂

i looked at the Xisumavoid farm where he uses a sweeper to harvest the kelp then one to push the floating blocks, i think this idea is great but i was concerned it would cause lag for others. i might try to do something like that farm.

I really want to use Black Concrete but i would be farming squid for days, in if it was possible to find an area to force spawn squids would it cause server lag to create a farm out of it.

thanks for the responses 🙂

On 1/13/2019 at 5:35 AM, Jet_Chi said:

1) Ink Sacks are harder to obtain, as to build a decent spawner it will cause huge lag spikes. i have looked at designs which involve taking portion of a river biome and drying the rest of the rivers out to force them to spawn. Need that black concrete :S

To offset the issues with building a squid farm, could there be more incentive for people to go farm Squid, like more exp/ember from hunting them?

Squid are out there an with looting 3 and a decent farm you shouldn't have an issue getting the drops.

Turns out squid don't give you anything for the hunter class! I'll raise it with other staff and throw it into the general balancing jobs bucket

2) Coal blocks look nice but lots of people use coal as a fuel source. i have looked into kelp farms as a fuel source and lots of them seem to be automatic with observers as allowing the kelp to grow fully then harvest causes large lag spikes, i tried this out with a simple piston farm on 20 kelp blocks on single player and it created lag spikes. Can the mods review different types of kelp farm and say what is acceptable.

As long as it's not server lag, and not built too near other players you should be good to go, if there is an issue we will work it out with you 🙂

3) Mining seems to be very underwhelming on Jobs, can it be buffed slightly to bring it in line with other jobs. if you control a guardian farm you're probably making tons more ember than you can with mining.

Maybe, but then making a guardian farm is a big investment so should have some payback, having said which we will take this and other feedback about jobs onboard and try to balance things out better.

4) Weekly Challenges for prizes, this is vague but it could be any sort of challenge to inspire some competition.

5) private islands like on previous maps where you can spend a large amount of ember to buy islands, those islands can be found through a portal room at spawn. cant see a downside to this.

Taking these two together they are certinally things we will consider for the future, I'm afraid it's hard to put a time on when though.

I'm going to move this one to "Rejected" although as I said in my previous post some suggestions here are longer term things we will be looking at and take this feedback onboard :).

About CedarCraft

At over seven years old, marking its beginnings in 2011, CedarCraft has grown to have one of the closest communities in Minecraft.

From the dedicated staff team to all of the members who make us who we are, the welcoming CedarCraft community is the one to be a part of

Support CedarCraft

Providing the servers and software to keep CedarCraft running smoothly is not cheap and we rely on the generosity of our members.

Please consider supporting the community with the purchase of one of our 'VIP' ranks

Vote for Us

Help your community and get in-game rewards!

Social

Stay engaged with your community outside of the game!