Sign in to follow this  
TuckerAmbr

Horses

This is a great server and one aspect of it I love is how the community is setup. It is a normal MC map where people can setup towns and build their homes. There are some amazing builds and I like to explore around and see it all. Last weekend I did exactly that riding a horse. But when I got to someone's shop I wanted to get off to go inside. The server wouldn't allow me to get off so I couldn't go inside. I disconnected and when I got back on I was off my horse but couldn't get back on. I lost my horse.

I started playing just before the addition of horses and thought it was a great addition. Because of the way the server is setup it could take advantage of them. Player made roads, bridges, race tracks, etc.. There are even plugins that allow players to see horse stats such as speed. Players could sell horses based on the horse attributes. Just a suggestionĀ to better enhance the horse experience.

Edited by TuckerAmbr

I like the idea of a player built server road network to ride on the map.Ā Ā 

Region permissions are why you can'tĀ  get on/offĀ  in areas you don't own.Ā 

Ā 

I haven't seen that many helpful plugins that exist for horses, came across a couple of them:

https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/zhorse.3384/

https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/cytologichorses.60402/

Yeah, it would be nice to get stats and be able to sell them, and all of that, but I don't see the demand anymore. I wish we used them more, and I guess people use another way of traveling like elytra and other homes on this server. We have of course some people that love horses more šŸ˜Š.

Finding a plugin or a way to step off your horse inside a protected area was worse. Either the plugin has to be rewritten, but I can see that as a challenging task due to horses not having anyways of registering who the owner is.

Ā 

That's the reason why I didn't post any reply cause I did not have any definite answer for your solution.Ā 

Wish there was a plugin that had more feature.

It's a bit awkward that you can't mount and dismount animals in player regions yes, it was added as a preventive measure several patches ago because people kept having their horses stolen, same goes for every other animal you could put a saddle on and ride away with. We could probably make it so that regions default with interact flag set to allow (I believe this is the one that controls mounting in this case) to make animal handling easier across regions, but it also opens them up for theft again, so that'd need another solution on its own. For all I know, there's no way to set an 'ownership' to an animal as soon as you mount it, so that no one else can.Ā 

6 hours ago, rocksvin said:

For all I know, there's no way to set an 'ownership' to an animal as soon as you mount it, so that no one else can.Ā 

This plugin allows ownership. But if there is no way to get around the claimed regions then it really doesn't matter.

https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/mcmmohorses.46301/

Edited by stablegenius

Just a thought but it might be possible to set up aĀ  child region with the interact flag set to on. A sort of livery stable area where visitors could mount and dismount.

That is basicly what we had to do when we ran the horse racing last time round IppoIkki , We used a sub region in order to allow people to mount / dismount in the track and we would put their horses in the track stables if they wanted for them , Also we had houses close by that sold out pretty fast for people to use as their horse storage (able to store 4 horses).

Ā 

As for the demand for horse related plugin's. We plan on building a new race track in the next few weeks or so and will be running racing event's therefore after this.

As for the moment there is no client side plugin that works for horse information anymore , either the ones i used or the Better HUD edition. So the only easy way of solving this would be a server side plugin. Oviously at admin's discresion.

Due to the way the economy is and the time it would take to make ember compaired to how we usto make it, We have no choice but to offer item rewards as prize's for the racing this time round.

Totally understand if people will not be as interested due to that but there is no way we can make 500k a month at the moment to be able to make it a big business for people again. That being said , if i find a way to do it with maybe track sponsorship's or like we did last time with race sponsorship's then we will try to do it.

Ā 

If i remember right , last time round Etsi and tako bought most of the race advert's etc and it was a great day because of their input along with ourselves to push the day.

The first ever horse race day we did we managed to get 48 concurrent people online at one time because of the racing. I would love to beat that this time round.

Item prizes are actually beneficial now Dewi, because of the jobs set up.Ā  Take a miner (like me for example) I make my money digging up stone and such but what if I need wool and I've been too busy digging I could spend money but what if I'm saving that for a beacon?Ā  Then I would need to either have a friend who wants nothing in return or earn it another way.Ā  (Obviously, there are better prizes than wool lol, just the first thing I could think of).Ā  The last map, I had a donation area set up for the build comp arena and lots of players donated items and not just basic supplies either.Ā  If the races are successful this time around I do believe our community will step up and donate prizes.

Well they were pretty successful the last time round when we did it for full day's on the saturday with the high ember amount's, As soon as we went to more item / lower ember amounts to keep up with demand of racing it took a turn, Even back then i couldnt churn out 500k a week and sleep XD

Ā 

But that being said , we have come up with an idea for the prizes for the horse racing that should have alot of people interested but will bring it up in a future post.

What we are going to do is not have sponsored races for the first even , including no rare item / horse auction event's like we did last time as it was very tiring and took almost 16h for the whole thing to be done along with small breaks for food etc. But that being said Donations towards prize pool will not be turned down.

Anything given to go towards the prize pool if posible will be split up among all the race's if not we will specify what prize for what race depending on time zone etc so to try to keep it evened out for all to have a chance.

Overall we are expecting September at the latest for all this to be setup as Queezle is coming to the UK for a few months soon so activity from the both of us will be a little low at that time for ovious reasons.

Only thing i am worried about is the ability to see horse speed / hearts / jump ability.
Again we may have a horse jumping race's in the future and also may on the first even depending on interest. I will put up a poll to see where the interest sits.

Ok i will post again on this as more of a refresher, Due to the way client side mods now work alot of the past HUD dev's are not willing to remake their huds for 1.3+. The only way i have seen to actually get acurate information about horses is via this server sided kind of mod. Now due to trying to run the races as fair as we can with having speed limits on races etc to give everyone a chance. I would personally like to see a server side mod added if it was at all posible.

Ā 

I also know i am not the only person as current who want's this to be a thing due to client side mods no longer working for this type of application.

With knowing this information, Without a fair way to actually run the race's we will be unable to do event's. Unless either a client side mod becomes available or something added server side we will just not bother to try to re-juvinate the racing aspect in cedar.

Ā 

The whole point of us doing the racing in previous map's was not for any peronal gain, Infact over the lifetime of us doing the events we did on map 4 we threw away over 1.3million in prize funding along with items and free housing / stables for people who wished.

The aim for doing the races was to give people a reason to login and take part in an event if it be monthly or by-monthly.

Hopfully we will see something soon that will be able to help make this possible again

You could set up a test course to gauge the horse speed, redstone can time them in some way. It's not as fool proof as the mod/plugin though and requires you to actually test every single horse. šŸ˜•

Until the 1.14 update has completed I'm not sure we'll be able to get to this, but that doesn't mean we are ignoring the suggestion.

On 5/20/2019 at 8:06 AM, rocksvin said:

You could set up a test course to gauge the horse speed, redstone can time them in some way. It's not as fool proof as the mod/plugin though and requires you to actually test every single horse. šŸ˜•

Aside from the caveat, this is a good way to do it withoutĀ mods.Ā  The idea exploits a simple equivalence:Ā  1 redstone tick = 2 gameticks = 1/10 of a second.Ā  So set up a "stopwatch" by havingĀ a 1-tick clock fire a dropper when a horse trips over a starting triggerĀ and stop the clock after some distance, where 1 item = 1/10 or 0.1 of a second.Ā  For example, say it took 100Ā items to travel 100Ā blocks, then the horse traveled 10 blocks/second.

A bit more accurate than the oldschool stopwatch, but also comes with its own tradeoffs.Ā :classic_ninja:

On 5/20/2019 at 7:31 AM, Dewiack said:

Due to the way client side mods now work alot of the past HUD dev's are not willing to remake their huds for 1.3+ (sic).Ā 

I'm not doubting you, but do you happen to know what happened?Ā  Or can provide some links as to the juicy details?Ā  Are horse statistics no longer present on the client-side?

On 5/22/2019 at 12:16 PM, xaeroverse said:

I'm not doubting you, but do you happen to know what happened?Ā  Or can provide some links as to the juicy details?Ā  Are horse statistics no longer present on the client-side?

Well due to the way mods are now implemented client side most of them had to be re-writen inorder to work with 1.3+, horse stats are still there but just need something to give us the information that works on the version we are using

Ā 

Also , the redstone machines are no longer stable on our server, we have tried and tested 3 of the 4 old machines we have used in the past and all of them due to lag etc of loading other worlds and such will not give anything of an acurate reading , took about an hour to get a reading of about 10.4 on one horse and 12.9 on another

Oh well, servers and precise redstone usually don't mix well anyway.

On the mod situation, itĀ sounds like there isn't a huge showstopper forĀ 1.13 client mods, just that the update is daunting, with Forge just being released for 1.13 a few months ago.Ā  I suspect most modders are on 1.12 as a result of the bandwagon-effect and haven't gone for 1.13 just yet.Ā  In the meantime, while I'm not a rendering wizard like those guys, would you settle for text-based stats that show on the debug screen?Ā  Like the following video:

https://imgur.com/yTrl27D

Ā